Saturday, March 7, 2015

Remembering Henry

Civil Disobedience
        I have been teaching 10th and 11th grade students about Civil Disobedience. I want them to understand that they have a moral obligation to fight against injustice. Some of my students "got it" others, .... not so much. My students are in a school system that is one of the best in the state. Many have been taught to obey the law not matter what. However, my African American students are very aware of the murders on unarmed teens. The African American students were more likely to understand the need for civil disobedience.  
      The most important aspect of teaching English is to have students make their own connections with the text;that is the only way text can come alive. Thoreau's philosophy on Civil Disobedience is relevant today , and I'm doing everything in my power to keep it alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment